A new mosquito-borne virus named ‘Zika’ has become a major issue of concern in recent days due to its impact on pregnant women. This infection can result in underdeveloped brains in new born babies. Many new cases have come up in the USA in last few days. So, it has become essential to know everything about deadly virus.
In May 2015, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) issued an alarm with respect to the initially recognized that Zika infection disease in Brazil. The flare-up in Brazil prompted reports of Guillain-Barre disorder and pregnant ladies bringing forth pampers with conception deformities and poor pregnancy results.
The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) of Zika virus disease is not clear, but is likely to be a few days. The symptoms are similar to other arbovirus virus such as dengue, and include fever, skin rashes, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise, and headache. These symptoms are usually mild and last for 2-7 days.
Zika virus is analyzed through polymerase chain reaction and infection isolation from blood samples. Diagnosis by serology can be difficult as the virus can cross-react with other flaviviruses such as dengue, West Nile and yellow fever.
Zika virus sickness is generally moderately mellow and requires no particular treatment. Individuals wiped out with Zika infection ought to get a lot of rest, drink enough liquids, and treat torment and fever with regular drugs. On the off chance that manifestations exacerbate, they ought to look for restorative consideration and guidance. There is as of now no antibody accessible.
Five think you have to follow to prevent form Zika Virus.
- Zika virus initially causes mild illness known as ‘Zika fever’ and it is transmitted through the aedes aegypti mosquito.
- There is no medical treatment for this infection.
- Since November, Brazil has seen 4,180 cases of microcephaly in babies born to women who were infected with Zika during their pregnancies.
- Symptoms of Zika virus include fever, rashes, headache and possible pink eyes.
- The only protection against Zika virus is to avoid travelling to areas with active infestation.