Australia commander Steve Smith has been named cricketer of the year and Test cricketer of the year by the International Cricket Council. He turns into the fourth Australian to lift the Sir Garfield Sobers trophy after Ricky Ponting, Mitchell Johnson and Michael Clarke.
South Africa’s AB de Villiers won the ODI cricketer of the year honor for the second year in succession. Australia commander Meg Lanning was named the Women’s ODI cricketer of the year.
Smith, 26, was the 6th most astounding run-scorer in Australia’s triumphant World Cup crusade this year, with 402 keeps running at a normal of 67, and made 1,734 in 13 Tests, at a normal of 82.57.
He succeeded Clarke as captain of the national group and drove his side to a 2-0 Test arrangement win over New Zealand a month ago. Englishman Richard Kettleborough was named umpire of the year for the third time.
ICC Awards 2015 at a glance –
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for cricketer of the year: Steve Smith (Australia)
- Test cricketer of the year: Steve Smith (Australia)
- ODI cricketer of the year: AB de Villiers (South Africa)
- Women’s ODI cricketer of the year: Meg Lanning (Australia)
- Women’s T20I cricketer of the year: Stafanie Taylor (West Indies)
- T20I Performance of the Year: Faf du Plessis (South Africa)
- Emerging Cricketer of the Year: Josh Hazlewood (Australia)
- Associate/Affiliate Cricketer of the Year: Khurram Khan (UAE)
- Spirit of Cricket Award: Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)
- Umpire of the Year (David Shepherd Trophy): Richard Kettleborough